- Half of all women lack proper care during pregnancy and delivery
- Sixty-two per cent of women with two daughters and no sons say they want no more children, compared with 47% in the last NFHS in 1998-99.
- The number of women married before the legal age of 18 is 45%, (previous 50%).
- 40% of ever-married women experienced violence (from 6% in Himachal Pradesh to 59% in Bihar).
- Married women with no education were much more likely (46%) to have suffered spousal violence.
- 12% of women who have 12 or more years of higher education reported violence.
- Nearly 55% of women think that spousal abuse is warranted under several circumstances.
Source: the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-III) 2005-06