- The Gross Dropout Rate (GDR) between general category candidates and SC/ST candidates, which was 6.7% and 15.1% in 2001-02, deteriorated to 10.4% and 16.6% in 2003-04 respectively.” (CAG)
- 3% of child labourers in India have been to school (planning commission 2006)
- More than 32,000 schools in India, mostly primary schools in rural areas,
- do not have a single student
- no teachers
- only para-teachers.
- Seasonal migration of communities in search of a livelihood
Source‘Elementary Education in India 2005-06’, prepared by the National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), covered 11,24,033 schools in 35 states and union territories.