- In 2004-05, a total of 836 million (77%) had below Rs. 20 a day.
- Poverty increased by a 100 million
- The new rich has grown by 93 million.
- The middle class and the rich grew from 162 million to 253 million
- The middle class grew from 15.5% to 19.3%
- Extreme poor have also benefited (274 to 237 million) – 43 million of them to be precise. Their per capita consumption has gone up from Rs 9 to Rs 12.
Source: Arjun Sengupta Chairman, National Commission for Enterprises in Unorganised Sector report on the Conditions of Work and Promotion of Livelihood in the Unorganised Sector. based on government data 1993-94 and 2004-05.