Theme: human rights.
The Anupama Jayaraman Memorial Award for young women journalists
The Jayaraman family and the Network of Women in Media, India (NWMI) jointly announce the Anupama Jayaraman Memorial Award for young women journalists.
The Award had been set up in the memory of Anupama Jayaraman, a young and promising Bangalore-based journalist who passed away in January 2006. Anupama was not only multi-talented and energetic, but she also demonstrated a keen interest in issues of human rights and social justice.
The Award is one of several efforts undertaken by her family to keep her concerns and ideas alive. It is meant to encourage and honour young women journalists who, like her, believe in meaningful journalism and have the courage and determination to write on issues relating to human rights and social justice. The Award will include a citation and a cheque for Rs. 15,000.
The Award will be for a woman print journalist in India writing in any Indian language or English.
The Anupama Jayaraman Award will be presented at the Annual Meeting of the Network of Women in Media, India. A jury of eminent citizens, including senior journalists, will judge the entries and select the next recipient of the Anupama Jayaraman Memorial Award.
- To encourage, support and honour young women journalists writing on human rights, social justice and people-centred development.
- To nurture and sustain idealism, enthusiasm and constructive professionalism among young journalists.
- To promote and strengthen journalism that cares.
Themes The broad themes to be addressed in the entries are human rights and social justice, especially in the areas of basic needs (including access to natural resources), gender equality, and the environment.
For the 2008 Award the theme is: human rights.
Guidelines for Nominations
For the 2008 Anupama Jayaraman Award all nominations must be received by 25 November 2008.
Please write “Anupama Jayaraman Memorial Award 2008” on the envelope.
Nominations, sent to the address below, must include:
- A short write-up on the nominee and her contact details (including postal address, phone number and e-mail ID)
- Three bylined articles relating to this year’s specified topic (the original and 1 xerox copy of each of the three submissions must be submitted)
- All nominations must be typed; all submitted articles must be printed/published.
- For all articles published in languages other than English, an English translation signed by the author must be attached along with the original.
- Besides editors and other media professionals, members of the reading public are also welcome to send in nominations.
4. When couriering/speed-posting or posting the nominations, kindly send
an email, or call on one of the contact numbers and provide the following
- date of dispatch
- consignment number
- name of courier/postal service used
E-Mail contact: award.aj@gmail